Chatwetty’s-Traditional Meat Pie
This traditional meat pie is a 15th-century recipe, not Mrs. Lovett's.
- 1 lb. pork or veal cubed
- 1 cup water
- Pastry for 8-inch double pie crust
- 6 tablespoons chopped dates
- 6 tablespoons currants
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 10 egg yolks
- In saucepan, simmer meat in water 20 minutes. Drain.
- Line 8-inch square baking dish with pastry.
- In medium-sized bowl, combine meat, dates and currants. Place meat mixture into pastry-lined dish.
- In same bowl, combine salt, saffron, ginger, pepper, mace, cloves, wine, vinegar and 9 egg yolks, reserving 1 yolk.
- Pour mixture over the meat.
- Cover with top crust, crimp well, make triangular cuts in center and fold tips back.
- Beat reserved yolk and brush on crust. Bake at 375°F until crust is browned and meat is heated through, 25 to 30 minutes.