Cheesy Heirloom Tomato Tart
This Cheesy Heirloom Tomato Tart is a simple dish with cheese and onions. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes + cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 3 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 sheet of homemade or store-bought pie crust
- 1 cup shredded Pecorino-Romano cheese
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
- Slice up the tomatoes and transfer to a bed of paper towels. Sprinkle the tomatoes with a few pinches of salt. This will force them to release a bit of their moisture.
- In a small sauté pan, add a teaspoon of oil. When warm, add the green onions and cook until softened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Take them off the heat and set them aside.
- Roll out the pie crust on a lightly floured work surface and transfer it to a 1/4-baking sheet or even a 9-inch pie dish will work. Evenly spread the cheese all on the bottom of the pie crust. Sprinkle with the cooked green onions and then lastly top it with the slices of tomatoes (some overlap is ok!). Add some black pepper to the tops of the tomatoes
- Transfer to the freezer to chill everything for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the pie crust edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and slice it up and serve! This dish tastes great room temperature, making it perfect for things like picnics, etc. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves.