- 2 bags (16 ounces each) frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- ice cream for serving (optional)
- Be careful not to overmix the batter for the dumplings; it should be wet and lumpy.
- Combine cherries and 1/3 cup sugar in a large skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high; simmer rapidly until syrupy, 8 to 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining tablespoon sugar; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually stir in milk, mixing just until a wet dough forms.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Spoon tablespoons of dough (you should have about 18) over simmering fruit; sprinkle all with cinnamon-sugar.
- Cover skillet; simmer very gently until dumplings are set and dry to the touch, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired.
Tips/TechniquesNote: You can make this recipe with other frozen fruit, such as blueberries, blackberries, or strawberries, alone or in combination.
Nutrition InfoPer serving: 273 calories; 1.2 grams fat; 5.3 grams protein; 63.5 grams carbohydrates; 1.7 grams fiber