Cherry BBQ Sauce
The cherries add a richness and tartness to the BBQ sauce without making it too sweet. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 pound cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- To a medium saucepan, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When warm, add the shallot and garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until translucent. Add the cherries and mix together. Cook until the cherries are very soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, water, tomato paste, honey, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne. Mix until combined. Add the mixture to the blender or use an immersion blender. Pulse until smooth. Transfer the bbq sauce back to the pot and cook over low heat, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Salt to taste. (I added about 1 teaspoon.) Brush on everything from ribs to chicken to vegetables.