Cherry Chocolate Chunk Muffins
Cherries mean summer and these cherry chocolate chunk muffins are the perfect thing to snack on in the afternoon. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + 1 teaspoon, divided
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil (such as grapeseed, vegetable oil or avocado oil)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks (about 2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, for topping
- Place muffin liners in a muffin tin and set aside. If your liners aren’t made of parchment and just paper, you might want to spray them with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, toss the cherries with the teaspoon of flour and set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, sugar, neutral oil, eggs and vanilla extract. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until barely combined. Add the cherries and chocolate chunks.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Divide the batter amongst the twelve cavities in the muffin tin. Sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar.
- Transfer to the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then carefully remove and allow to cool on a cooling rack.