Cherry Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
Food blogger Adrianna Adarme recommends pairing cherry and chocolate in this ice cream recipe from the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- Sea salt
- 1/2 pound cherries, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate (80%) chunks
- To a medium saucepan, heat the heavy cream, sugar and pinch of sea salt, over low heat until the sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- To the jar of a blender, add the cherries and about 1/4 cup of the milk mixture (this measurement can be eyeballed). Blend until very smooth about 1 minute. Place a sieve atop a large bowl and pour the puree through it, discarding the pulp. Add the remaining milk, along with the vanilla extract to the bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until very cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Churn the mixture in the bowl of your ice cream maker, according to your machine's instructions. When the ice cream begins to thicken (approximately at the 15-minute mark), pour the chocolate into the ice cream maker; the machine will do the mixing for you. Serve immediately for soft serve or alternatively transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze overnight.