- 7 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Chop chocolate into 1/4-inch chunks; set aside. In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter with brown sugar until combined. Add fresh ginger and mix until combined. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Slowly add to butter mixture, mixing until well combined.
- Add baking soda mixture and molasses; mix to combine. Stir in chocolate; Transfer to refrigerator. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a 2-inch ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto baking sheet, 2 1/2 inches apart. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll dough balls in granulated sugar and return to baking sheets. Transfer to oven and bake until surfaces crack slightly, about 18 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.