- 6 small (6-8 ounces) boneless/skinless full chicken breasts
- 1 8-ounce can chopped “recipe ready” tomatoes drained
- 4 Roma tomatoes coarse-chopped and drained (pulse in food processor is OK)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup total of either or combination of shredded Mozzarella Jack, Cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion chipped
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- herbs and spices (see below)
- Rinse and dry chicken breasts. Remove tenders. (Save tenders for other uses.)
- Lay chicken out, inside up, on a clean work surface. (Food wrap laid on counter top is recommended.)
- Saute onions until translucent. Add drained, chopped tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool to room temperature and drain juices.
- Add cheese, spices and herbs (see below).
- Divide mixture onto one side of each full chicken breast.
- Fold over and skewer with round toothpick., poultry lacing skewer or tie with cotton butcher’s string.
Place stuffed chicken breasts, seam up, on greased baking pan with sides. (Silicon baking mats or parchment paper is ideal.) Roast at 325 F for
approximately 15 minutes or until chicken internal temperature reaches 160 F.
Place stuffed breats, seam up, on medium heat grill. Cover grill and cook approximately 15 minutes or until chicken internal temperature is 160 F.
HERBS, SPICES AND SERVING SUGGESTIONS—SANTA FE CHICKEN:
Add 1 teaspoon ground Cumin and 1/4 cup fresh chopped Cilantro (cayenne pepper and/or chili powder to taste if desired) to basic tomato stuffing recipe.
At serving, top with room temperature Picante or Black Bean Salsa. Accompany with Spanish Rice and fresh garden salad tossed with lime vinaigrette
with egg and fresh tomato wedges. Serve with Taco or corn chips.