Chicken Caesar Salad
Anchovies add a wonderful, briny richness to many dishes; they are a classic ingredient in Caesar salad.
Prep time: 45 Minutes
Total time: 45 Minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 ounces Italian bread cut in ¾-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 chicken cutlets (each 2 to 3 ounces and ½ inch thick)
- 1 package romaine lettuce hearts (18 to 20 ounces)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 anchovy fillets roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 small garlic clove
- Make croutons: Preheat oven to 375°. Place bread on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil, and season with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Bake, tossing occasionally, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes; remove from oven; and let cool.
- Make chicken: Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side; remove from skillet and let cool.
- Prepare lettuce: Cut romaine crosswise into 1-inch ribbons; wash and dry.
- Make dressing: In a blender, combine lemon juice, mayonnaise, Parmesan, anchovy fillets (if using), and garlic; blend until smooth. If preparing this recipe in advance, see storage instructions (below).
- If stored in refrigerator, bring chicken and dressing to room temperature. Slice chicken crosswise into strips; toss with croutons, lettuce, and dressing.
Tips/TechniquesNote: Store croutons in a resealable plastic bag, at room temperature; cooked chicken covered, in refrigerator; washed lettuce in a large bowl with paper towels, in refrigerator; salad dressing covered, in refrigerator.
Nutrition InfoPer serving: 349 calories; 18.6 grams fat; 23.1 grams protein; 22 grams carbohydrates; 2.4 grams fiber