Chicken Coconut Curry Soup
A quick and easy soup to keep your kids full and satisfied from Alice Currah of SavorySweetLife.com. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped – except for a few matchsticks for garnish
- 1/2 onion chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper chopped finely – except for a few thinly sliced pieces for garnish
- 1 cup cooked chicken meat chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (if you like it less spicy just use 1 tablespoon)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 13.5 ozcan Asian coconut milk or cream (unsweetened)
- 21 ounces chicken broth (roughly 1.5 cans - I like Swansons brand)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons fish sauce and a few sprigs of cilantro
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil on medium heat and cook chopped onions, carrots, and red bell pepper for approximately 5 minutes. Add curry paste, brown sugar, chicken, rice, and fish sauce stirring and sauteing everything until curry paste is completely incorporated (approx. 2-3 minutes). Pour chicken broth and coconut milk into the pan and give it a good stir for a half minute. Reduce heat to medium and allow the soup to cook for 15-20 minutes. Serve with a spoonful of coconut milk added on top with a few matchstick carrots and a slice of red bell pepper for garnish. Enjoy!
Tips/TechniquesReserve some of the coconut milk, carrots, and red bell pepper (and cilantro) for optional garnish.