No-Chicken Noodle Soup
A vegetarian take on chicken noodle soup that is sure to please any picker eater in your family.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 40 Minutes
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic, (3 – 4 cloves)
- 4 stalks celery, sliced (use the leaves, too)
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 64 oz. reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups fine egg noodles
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, or to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat, add the butter and oil, and when the butter melts, add the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sauté them until the onions are tender and translucent, 8 – 10 minutes
- Stir in the thyme, then add the broth and bring it to a boil. Add the noodles and cook them until they are just tender, about 4 minutes if you are using fine egg noodles. Season it with salt and pepper to taste, garnish it with the parsley, and serve it immediately.
- Slow Cooker Directions: Add all ingredients except the noodles to the slow cooker, and turn to low for 8 - 10 hours, or to high for 3-4 hours. 30 minutes, before serving, add noodles and turn slow cooker to high for the final 30 minutes of cooking.