- 2 Whole Chicken Breasts
- 4 Chicken legs (thigh and drumstick)
- 4 TBS vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions diced
- 4 red peppers diced
- 2 Hungarian yellow peppers (or green cubanelles) diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 TBS Hungarian sweet paprika
- 5 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 2 TBS flour
- 5 ounces sour cream
- 1 TBS each salt and pepper
- Slowly cook onions in oil until translucent. (Browning or caramelizing them will result in a different flavor). Add diced tomatoes peppers and simmer until peppers become tender.
- Cut chicken breasts and legs in half and add to pan. (Bones should stay in to add flavor.) Add paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until chicken is tender.
- Add the flour to the sour cream and mix (this will prevent the sour cream from curdling. You may also fold some of the sauce in the sour cream/flour mixture.). Add this mixture to the chicken and slowly stir in. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced red pepper rings and a dollop of sour cream.
Tips/TechniquesNote: Traditional Hungarian Paprikash is cooked with the bone in but you may opt to use boneless and skinless chicken breast and thighs.