This chicken parmesan recipe appears in the "Italian Favorites" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- For the Chicken:
- 6 Chicken Cutlets
- 4 cups plain panko
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 pounds (1/4-inch thick) chicken cutlets
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 6 fresh basil leaves, plus sprigs and small leaves for serving
- For the Tomato Sauce: makes 1.5 cups
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (from 2 large cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, pureed with their liquid
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Cheeses:
- 1 1/4 cups (about 4 ounces) grated part-skim mozzarella
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
- For the Chicken: Whisk eggs in a baking dish. Pat cutlets very dry and season with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, tapping off excess. Dip both sides in egg, then coat with panko, patting gently to adhere.
- Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush cutlets very lightly with oil and arrange in a single layer on rack. Roast, flipping once, until sizzling and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- For the Tomato Sauce: In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, pepper flakes, and oregano. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer vigorously, stirring frequently, until slightly reduced, about 20 minutes.
- Top each cutlet with basil leaf. Cover with 1/4 cup sauce and sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella. Broil until melted and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan and basil. Serve immediately.