Chicken Skillet Supper
The secret to its great flavor is a simple dry rub of salt, pepper, oregano, celery salt, and red pepper flakes. Watch Mary Ann Esposito make Chicken Skillet Supper at CiaoItalia.com!
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 3 pounds cut up chicken pieces, washed and dried
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 small red skin potatoes, cut in quarters
- 1/2 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock or dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 pound green beans cut into thirds
- Toast the pine nuts in a small non stick sauté pan over medium heat until they are fragrant and lightly browned.Transfer to a dish.
- Combine the salt, pepper, oregano, celery salt and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Mix well, then rub it evenly over the chicken pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy duty sauté pan or cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Brown the chicken pieces skin side down a few at a time if necessary. Do not crowd the pan or the chicken will steam instead of brown. Add the lemon juice and water,cover the pan and simmer 30 minutes, turning the pieces every 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and set aside. Add onion and potato to the pan; increase the heat to medium high and sauté3 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, chicken broth or wine, and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Stir in beans and return the chicken to the pan.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat about 10 minutes or until beans are tender. Serve with some of the sauce and a sprinkling of pine nuts over the top.