Chicken and Veggie Bolognese with Zucchini Noodles
This isn't your grandma's classic bolognese. Cook up this chicken veggie bolognese over zucchini noodles. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + more as needed
- 3 medium carrots, peeled minced
- 4 cremini mushrooms, stems removed and minced
- 1/4 yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (a mix of oregano)
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 14-ounce can of tomato sauce (or your favorite jarred marinara sauce)
- 3 to 4 zucchini, spiralized using the C or D blade
- In a medium pot, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When warm, add the carrots and mushrooms and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Next, add the onions and cook for an additional minute or so. Add about 1/2 of the salt and mix in the garlic, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper. Mix again until all the veggies are coated in the oil and seasoning.
- Add the ground chicken and sprinkle the top with the reserved 1/2 teaspoon of salt; break it up into crumbles using a spatula or wooden spoon. Since ground chicken isn’t very fatty, you may need to add a bit more olive oil so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan (I added about a tablespoon more). Cook until the ground chicken is cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes. Next, pour in the tomato sauce and mix. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until fragrant. Give it a taste and adjust the seasoning to taste. Mix in the Italian parsley and set aside.
- In a small skillet pan, set over medium heat, add a few teaspoons of olive oil. When the oil is warm, add the zucchini and toss until coated in the olive oil. Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, tossing the zucchini noodles every so often.
- Divide the zucchini noodles amongst bowls and top with a few spoonfuls of bolognese. Garnish with some parmesan.