Chilean Blackberry Polenta with Chilean Peach Compote
(by Robert Silverman)
To celebrate Chile fruit, the Chilean Fruit Association in association with some of the United States professional chefs held the "Taste of Summer in Winter" recipe contest. Here’s a sampling of some terrific and unique winners!
- 3 cups ripe Chilean peach slices
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup polenta (coarse ground corn meal)
- 2 cups fresh Chilean blackberries rinsed and divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Saute peaches in teaspoon butter. Stir in honey and keep warm.
- Bring water, milk, sugar, lemon peel and salt to a boil.
- Slowly add cornmeal in a stream, stirring with a whisk to avoid lumps. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Gently fold in 2 cups of blackberries.
- To serve combine brown sugar and cinnamon and portion into four bowls.
- Top with reserved peach compote, sprinkle with brown sugar mixture and garnish with remaining cup blackberries.