Chocolate Cornbread Muffins
It would be wrong to imply that these chocolate cornbread muffins are healthy, but with less sugar and loads of fiber, they are a perfectly acceptable breakfast food. (Recipe Credit: Marc Matsumoto of Fresh Tastes.)
- 5.6 ounces cornmeal
- 3.5 ounces whole wheat flour
- 1.8 ounces cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and generously oil or butter a muffin tin.
- Set a mesh strainer over a bowl and sift together the cornmeal, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- Microwave the butter on low-power until it's mostly melted and very soft. Whisk in the eggs and emulsify.
- Whisk the yogurt and milk into the butter and egg mixture until uniform in color.
- Dump the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between 9 standard-size muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out without batter on it.
- Serve hot, cool completely on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.