- 2/3 cups hazelnuts (filberts)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 TB Kahlua (or Amaretto)
- 2 cups plus 2 TB flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Toast nuts in a 350° oven for 8-10 minutes. Let them cool and rub the skins off.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and the Kahlua or other flavoring.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture, mixing until blended. Fold in the nuts.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into two loaves that are 1/2 inch high and 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Bake in a preheated 325° oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a cooking rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Place on a cutting board and use a serrated knife to slice each loaf on a 45° angle about 1/2" thick. Put each piece upright back on the baking sheet about 1/2" apart.
- Return to the oven for another 8-10 minutes to dry slightly. Let cook on a rack and then store in a tightly covered container.