Chocolate Orange Tart
This chocolate orange tart recipe is Mary's interpretation of the signature challenge in the Pies & Tarts episode of Season 1 of The Great British Baking Show. It is explained in further detail by Mary in Season 1 Masterclass: Part 3.
- For the pastry
- 100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g icing sugar
- 50g butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cold water
- For the chocolate filling
- 75g butter
- 115g dark chocolate, no more than 60 percent cocoa solids, finely chopped
- 115g golden caster sugar
- 55g plain flour
- 4 medium eggs
- For the orange filling
- 25g butter
- 50g white chocolate
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 35g golden caster sugar
- 25g plain flour
- 2 medium egg yolks
- Butter a 9in fluted tart tin. To make the pastry, measure the flour and icing sugar into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and water and mix until it comes together to form a soft dough, Wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Dust the work surface with flour then roll out the pastry as thinly as you can to a circle about 5cm larger than your flan tin. Line the tin with the pastry. Don’t worry if the pastry breaks a little, it is easy to patch up. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork, line the pastry case with baking paper or foil and fill with baking beans. Bake the pastry blind for 10 minutes, until just lightly golden, then remove the paper and beans and return the tart to the oven to cook for a further 5-7 minutes until pale golden and the base is cooked.
- To make the chocolate filling, melt the butter and chocolate in a bain-marie over a low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and flour. Beat in the eggs, one at a time and leave to stand.
- To make the orange filling, melt the butter and chocolate in a bain-marie over a low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the orange zest, sugar and flour. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time and pour the mixture into a jug.
- Place the pastry case on a baking tray. Pour the chocolate mixture into the pastry case. Drizzle or pipe the orange filling over the chocolate filling to create a swirl effect. Draw a cocktail stick through the filling to create a marbled effect.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just set around the edges - but it should still be slightly wobbly in the center. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, until warm not piping hot.
Tips/TechniquesNote: This recipe contains U.K. measurements and may require conversions to U.S. measurements. It has also not been professionally tested.