Chocolate Pots de Creme
This chocolate pots de creme recipe appears in the "Puddings" episode of Martha Bakes.
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Coarse salt
- Whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bring the cream, espresso, vanilla, and chocolate to a simmer. Whisk until smooth.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and a pinch of coarse salt; add warm chocolate mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Strain custard through a fine sieve into a 2-cup glass measuring cup.
- Place six 4-ounce ramekins in the center of a baking dish lined with a towel. Divide custard among ramekins, and fill pan with enough boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover with parchment paper. Bake until custard is set around edges but wobbly in center, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove cups from water bath, and let custards cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.