Chocolate Stout Loaf with Sweet Whiskey Glaze
Learn how to bake this chocolate stout loaf cake recipe with a sweet whiskey glaze. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of the Fresh Tastes Blog)
- For the Cake:
- 1 cup stout or porter beer
- 1/2 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- For the Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons whiskey
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously spray the inside of a 8x5-inch loaf pan (you can use a 9x5-inch loaf pan but just note that the loaf will be a bit smaller in thickness) nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the stout or porter, cocoa powder, and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg until just beaten, then whisk it into the cooled cocoa mixture until combined. Gently fold the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture. The batter will be slightly lumpy–do not over-beat, as it could cause the cake to be tough.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until a small skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, let’s make the glaze. To a small saucepan, set over medium heat, add the whiskey. Cook until it reduces by about half. Pour the whiskey into a bowl with the powdered sugar; whisk until combined. Next, add the milk and whisk again. If it’s a bit too thick, add a teaspoon or two more of milk. Pour the whiskey glaze on top of the cake and slice and serve.