Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
These breakfast muffins can also be easily converted into pancakes or a loaf. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 2 cups grated zucchini (from about 2 medium-sized zucchini)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup shaken buttermilk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Transfer the zucchini to the center of a few layers of paper towels. Wrap up the zucchini and squeeze all the water out. You’ll be surprised at how much liquid comes out! Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg and sugar together until it turns pale yellow, about 1 minute. Pour in the buttermilk, olive oil, and pure vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix until you no longer see any flecks of flour.
- Fill the muffin liners up about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.