This Christmas pavlova recipe by Mary Berry is featured in the Season 3 Masterclass: Christmas episode of the Great British Baking Show.
- For the pavlova
- 6 large egg whites
- 350g caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- For the filling
- 600ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 200g strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 300g raspberries
- 200g blueberries
- 50g pomegranate seeds
- a few mint leaves, to decorate, optional
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and draw a 12in circle on the paper. Draw a 6in circle in the centre of the 12in circle.
- Put six egg whites into a mixing bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until they look like clouds. Gradually add the sugar a little at a time, whisking on maximum speed until they are stiff and glossy. Mix the vinegar and corn flour in a cup until smooth, then stir into the bowl.
- Spoon the meringue between the 2 circles on the baking parchment, to make a wreath shape. Using a large spoon make a trench in the meringue for the cream and fruit to sit in. Slide into the oven, then immediately reduce the temperature to 300F and bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the pavlova inside for an hour or overnight to dry.
- To assemble, whip the cream, vanilla & icing sugar until just stiff. Spoon the cream into the trench in the meringue. Arrange the strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and pomegranate on top and decorate with a few mint leaves, if using. To serve, dust with icing sugar and cut in wedges.
- The pavlova can be made up to 1 month ahead and stored: wrap it in cling film and then foil and keep in a cool place.
Tips/TechniquesNote: This recipe contains U.K. measurements and may require conversions to U.S. measurements. It has also not been professionally tested.