- 3 lbs. apples (such as a combination of McIntosh and Golden Delicious)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar(if desired)
- Peel, core, and cut apples into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- In a large saucepan bring apples and water to a boil. Add cinnamon stick; reduce heat. Cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar (if desired) until dissolved, about 1 minute. Discard cinnamon stick. Serve warm or chilled (refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week).