Chunky Chicken Salad Sandwich
Try this chicken salad sandwich recipe from Aviva Goldfarb of The Six O'Clock Scramble. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Prep time: 25 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ½ lemon, juice only, about 2 Tbsp.
- 2 Tbsp. mango chutney or apricot jam
- 2 – 3 tsp. curry powder, to taste
- 2 celery stalks, large finely diced
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup shelled and unsalted pistachio nuts, or use slivered almonds or coarsely chopped pecans
- 12 slices whole wheat bread (optional)
- 1 head lettuce (optional)
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken. Place the chicken in a large heavy skillet and add just enough water to cover it. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and poach the chicken (steam it lightly in boiling water) for 7-10 minutes, until it is just cooked through (check by cutting into the thickest piece of chicken to make sure it is no longer pink).
- Rinse the chicken under cold water until it is cool. Dice the chicken into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, chutney or jam and curry powder. Stir in the chicken, celery, grapes, and nuts. Serve it on whole wheat bread with a couple of lettuce leaves, if desired.