Classic French Toast with Honey Apple Syrup
Start the morning right with this classic french toast recipe that is topped with crisp-tender apple slices and homemade honey apple syrup.
Source: Saratoga County CCE
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
- 8 slices bread (multi-grain)
- Honey Apple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 apples, cored and sliced
- In a shallow dish beat together eggs, milk and spice until well blended. Soak the bread, one slice at a time, in the egg mixture for about 1 minute on each side.
- Transfer soaked bread to a greased preheated griddle hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Cook on both sides until golden brown.
- Combine honey and apple juice in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until heated through. Set aside and keep warm. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add apples; cook and stir for about 4 minutes, or until apples slices are crisp-tender.
- Serve French toast with apples and honey syrup on top.
Nutrition InfoEach serving provides 530 calories, 150 calories from fat, 17 grams fat, 7 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 445 mg cholesterol, 430 mg sodium, 79 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber, 53 grams sugars, 18 grams protein