Classic Strawberry Shortcake
Martha Stewart's Montgomery Pie recipe was featured the South Atlantic episode of Martha Bakes.
- For the berries:
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- For the biscuits:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons coarse sanding sugar
- For serving:
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- Prepare the berries: Toss the strawberries with lemon juice and sugar to combine. Let macerate at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Make the biscuits: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk to combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix together 1 1/4 cups heavy cream and 1 egg. Add to flour mixture and stir with a fork just until dough starts to come together but is still crumbly.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 6-by-9-inch rectangle, about 2 inches thick. With a short side facing you, fold the bottom third up as you would a business letter, followed by the remaining third. Pat into a square. With a 2 1/2-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut biscuits from dough and place them, evenly spaced, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gather dough scraps together, fold once, and gently pat into a square. Cut out remaining biscuits. Whisk remaining egg and 1 tablespoon cream, then brush egg wash over tops of dough rounds. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon sanding sugar.
- Bake until tops are golden brown brown, rotating sheet halfway through, about 25 minutes. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack and let cool slightly.
- When ready to serve, whip cream in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Split biscuits in half and place a bottom half on each plate. Top generously with berries and their juice, then top with dollops of whipped cream followed by remaining biscuit halves. Scatter a few more strawberries on top and around plates.