- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In large bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. In another bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Chill dough for about 1 hour. It must be firm enough to roll.
- Divide dough into four equal balls. On a lightly floured surface, flatten first ball with a rolling pin to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into dog bone shapes using a cookie cutter or the paper template provided. Continue rolling out and cutting "dog bones" until all dough is used. Place cut out cookies on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until no indentation remains when a cookie is touched lightly in the center.
- Let cookies cool one to two minutes and then move to wire rack to cool thoroughly.
- Decorate as desired with frosting or sprinkles.