- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for glass
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 4 cups coconut chips
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and granulated sugar; add brown sugar and mix until well combined. Add eggs and mix until fully incorporated.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix to combine. Add remaining flour mixture and mix to combine. Add half of the coconut chips; mix to combine. Add remaining coconut chips and mix to combine.
- Using a 1 ¾ inch (1 ½ tablespoons) ice cream scoop, scoop out balls of dough onto prepared baking sheets at least 3 inches apart. Transfer baking sheet to refrigerator; let chill for 30 minutes. Using the flat bottom of a floured drinking glass, flatten dough slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake until golden brown, 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cool at least 20 minutes before serving.