Coffee Cake Muffins
The perfect compliment to a cup of coffee and the Sunday newspaper.
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 55 Minutes
Yield: Makes 12 jumbo muffins
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter room temperature plus more for pans
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) plus more for pans
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Confectioner's sugar optional
- Prepare streusel topping: In a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffins: Butter and flour a jumbo 12 cup muffin tin (or two 6 cup muffin tins). In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together butter, sour cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well combined. With mixer on low, beat flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Divide half the batter among prepared muffin cups. Top with half the streusel mixture, then remaining batter and top with streusel. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar, if desired.