This recipe for the traditional Irish dish Colcannon, is a hearty mixture of russet potatoes and cabbage that is perfect for a cold winter night or a craving for comfort food.
Source: Adapted from Kids Cooking
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage (or kale)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup low fat milk
- Peel and dice potatoes. Place in a large pot and cover with water by one inch.
- Bring to a boil, covered, over high heat. Remove cover, reduce heat to medium and allow potatoes to cook for 12-15 minutes or until tender when pierced by fork.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, season with salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to pot.
- Add two tablespoons of the butter and milk. Mash. Fold in the cabbage mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Top with remaining butter.
Nutrition InfoEach serving provides 199 calories, 7.8 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 16 mg cholesterol, 61 mg sodium, 29.8 grams carbohydrates, 4.9 grams fiber, 3.7 grams sugar, 3.7 grams protein