Colcannon with Green Onions
- 4 lbs. russet potatoes peeled, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
- 1 1/2 lbs. savoy cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 green onion bunch chopped
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- Chopped fresh chives or green onion tops
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pot and mash with masher. Set aside.
- Combine cabbage and water in heavy large skillet. Boil until almost all liquid evaporates, tossing cabbage frequently, about 15 minutes. Mix cabbage into mashed potatoes.
- Combine milk, green onions and 1/2 cup butter in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to melt butter. Pour over potato mixture and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mound mashed potatoes in bowl. Make well in center. Place remaining 1/4 cup butter in well. Sprinkle with chives and serve.