Cold Salmon with Black Sesame Crust and Herb Mayonnaise
by Chef Jacques E. Haeringer
A homemade mayonnaise prepared with extra virgin olive oil and fresh herbs is delicious and nutritious
- 10 ounces skinless salmon fillet
- 2 ounces black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped watercress
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 small hard-boiled egg chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped capers
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Place the mayonnaise in a small mixing bowl.
- Put the parsley and watercress in a piece of clean cheesecloth, twist the ends together to close, and squeeze the juice from the herbs into the mayonnaise.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the watercress and parsley. Blend thoroughly. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Chill until ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill.
- Cut the salmon into 2 equal fillets. Season with salt and pepper and press the sesame seeds into 1 side of each fillet to form a crust.
- Coat the bottom of a plate with olive oil and place the prepared fillets on the plate, crust side up. Transfer the salmon fillets to the preheated grill. Grill for about 3 to 4 minutes until just cooked through. Allow the fillets to cool before serving.
- Place the salmon on 2 plates and garnish with the mayonnaise. Serve with a mixed salad, if desired.
Tips/TechniquesThis segment appears in show #2920.
Recipe courtesy of Jacques E. Haeringer
© 2004 Jacques E. Haeringer