Collard Greens with Salt Pork
- 3 bunches of collard greens chopped
- 3 ham hocks or 1 smoked turkey wing
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 lb. salt pork sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Crushed red peppers optional
- Clean and wash greens until water is no longer green, but clear.
- In a large pot, boil ham hocks and salt pork for about 1 hour on medium heat, then add collards to boiling ingredients.
- Cook for an additional 1½ hours with cover on.
- Add sugar and peppers and then continue cooking for an additional half hour and stir occasionally. Serve hot.