Collards And Kimchi
Chef Ed Lee celebrates some favorite cultures, with this tasty twist on a recipe for collard greens.
- 1 tablespoon lard or bacon fat
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1½ cups diced country ham (about 10 ounces)
- 1½ pounds collard greens, washed, stemmed, and coarsely chopped
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 8 ounces (1 ¼ cups) Red Cabbage-Bacon Kimchi or store-bought
- Heat the lard and butter in a medium pot over high heat. Once the butter starts to foam, add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes, or until they get a little color. Add the ham and cook for 3 minutes, until it is crispy but not too brown. Add the collards, chicken stock, and soy sauce, cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste the collards. They should be tender but still have a little chew to them.
- Add the vinegar to the greens and cook for 1 minute.
- Toss the kimchi into the pot with the greens. Mix together, and serve immediately, juices and all