Corn and Crab Fritters
Caramelized cheese creates a shell around these crab and corn fritters. (Recipe Courtesy: Marc Matsumoto of the Fresh Tastes Blog)
Yield: Makes about 14, 2-inch fritters
- 1 cob corn
- 3.7 ounces (105 grams) crab
- 0.9 ounces (25 grams) grated cheddar cheese (about 1/2 loose cup)
- 0.7 ounces (20 grams) basil, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
- finishing salt such as Maldon or Fleur de Sel
- Use a sharp knife to cut the corn off the cob into a bowl. When you're done cutting the kernels, use the back side of the knife to scrape any remaining bits of corn and juice off the cob and into the bowl.
- Add the crab, cheddar, basil, flour, cornmeal, egg and black pepper into a bowl and stir well to combine.
- Prepare a paper towel lined wire rack.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the fritter mixture 1 heaping tablespoon at a time to the pan and fry until golden brown on one side.
- Gently flip the fritter over with a spatula and give it a light press to flatten it out, and then fry until the other side becomes golden brown and crisp.
- Drain the fritters on the paper towels, and then sprinkle with finishing salt before serving.