Corn and Kabocha Salad
The crisp sweet corn and flavorful kabocha is accented by savory ham and a mild tang from apple cider vinegar in this salad. (Recipe Credit: Marc Matsumoto of Fresh Tastes.)
Yield: Makes 6 side-dish size servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10.6 ounces kabocha pumpkin (peeled, seeded and cubed)
- 8.8 ounces corn (1 ear, kernels removed from cob)
- 2.8 ounces ham
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- white pepper (to taste)
- chives (chopped, for garnish)
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil and kabocha in a single layer. Fry the kabocha on one side until browned and then flip and brown the other side.
- Add the corn, ham, and salt. Toss to distribute evenly.
- Add the white wine and cover immediately with a lid. Turn down the heat to medium-low and steam the kabocha for 5 minutes (or until it is tender).
- Remove the lid and turn up the heat to burn off any remaining wine.
- Drizzle the apple cider vinegar on top and toss to coat evenly. Add some white pepper and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve garnished with some chopped chives.