Editor's Note: Dale DeGroff, a former bartender for New York City’s Rainbow Room and the author of The Craft of the Cocktail, recommended drinks for Real Simple and offered some insight for each.
“It’s simple,” says DeGroff. “It’s four ingredients, and ‘fresh’ is the key. The common mistake people make is they don’t shake it hard, and they don’t put fresh lime juice in — they use some sort of artificial lime out of those little squirt things.”
Cook time: 5 Minutes
Total time: 5 Minutes
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka preferably citrus vodka
- 3/4 ounce orange liqueur
- 1/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce cranberry juice cocktail
- Twist of orange peel (optional)
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine the vodka, orange liquor, lime juice, and cranberry cocktail. Shake well and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a twist (if using).