Crab Encrusted Catfish
- 5 six to eight oz portions of catfish filet
- 5 ounces olive oil for pan frying
- (for Mousse)
- 8 ounces catfish
- 16 ounces lump crab meat
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons fresh chives chopped
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (use favorite commercial brand)
- (or make your own using combining cayenne pepper black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika)
- (for Sauce Beurre Blanc)
- 2 tablespoons shallots chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic chopped
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 24 ounces unsalted butter cut into small cubes and chilled
- 2 cups heavy cream reduced to 1 cups
- salt 1 tsp
- pepper 1 tsp
- Mousse: Dice catfish into ½ inch pieces and puree in a food processor.
- Remove any pieces of shell or membrane from crabmeat and add to puree catfish and continue to process until smooth.
- Add seasoning and chives.
- Slowly and steadily pour in heavy cream while continuing to process the mixture until smooth and uniform in color.
- Catfish: Divide mousse mixture into five equal portions and cover the top side of each filet.
- Heat frying pan and add olive oil.
- Gently place catfish filets into hot oil, mousse side down and cook until golden.
- Turn filet over and continue to cook until completely cooked.
- note: you may want to finish the cooking by placing the pan into the oven.
- Sauce Beurre Blanc: Combine the shallots, garlic, wine and lemon juice in a sauce pan and reduce over medium heat until nearly dry.
- Add the reduced heavy cream and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Add the butter a few pieces at a time, whisking constantly to blend the butter into the reduction over low heat. Continue adding butter until all has been incorporated.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.