Cranberry and Apple Baked Oatmeal
This baked oatmeal dish is a Winter favorite because it’s not too sweet and warms your soul. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- Apple Mixture:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds + a handful more for the top
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups whole milk or almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- To make the apple mixture: In a small skillet, set over medium heat, melt the butter. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until apples have softened. Set aside.
- To make the oatmeal: Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Butter a 8x8-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the oats, slivered almonds, sugar, salt and baking powder. To a measuring cup, whisk together the milk, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- To the prepared baking dish, add the apples and the cranberries. Pour the oat mixture on top and then add the milk. Stir slightly and then top with the extra almonds. Transfer to the oven to bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the edges are set and lightly golden brown. Scoop into bowls and serve.