Cranberry-Walnut Pudding Cake
This cake is best served warm. It's good for breakfast with a dollop of plain or vanilla yogurt. You can watch Sue prepare the cake in this clip from Lakeland Cooks!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter a 9-inch square baking dish. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl.
- Stir in buttermilk, cranberries and walnuts. Spread batter in bottom of prepared baking dish.
- In another bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Place the butter on top.
- Bring orange juice and water to a boil on top of stove or in microwave oven.
- Pour boiling liquid over brown sugar mixture and stir to mix.
- Pour hot mixture over cake batter in dish. Do not mix or stir.
- Bake pudding cake in 350-degree oven for 45 minutes. Allow to cool a bit before serving.
- The cake will be at the top and the brown sugar mixture will have become a caramel-like pudding sauce underneath.