Cream-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
Swap out the marshmallow filling in this recipe for chocolate filling.
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
Yield: Makes 12
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter room temperature plus more for muffin tins
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus more for muffin tins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream room temperature
- For the Filling
- 1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme (7.5-ounce jar)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 6-cup (each with a 1-cup capacity) jumbo muffin tins: dust with cocoa powder to coat, tapping out excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. On low speed, add half the flour mixture, followed by sour cream, ending with remaining flour mixture; mix just until incorporated (do not overmix).
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating tins halfway through baking. Cool in tins, 5 minutes; remove cupcakes and cool, right side up, on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling: In a medium bowl, whisk marshmallow creme and butter until smooth. Chill until slightly firm, 15 to 30 minutes. Transfer mixture to a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag, and seal; cut off one corner of the bag to make a 1/8-inch opening.
- Using a small melon baller, scoop out center of each cupcake from the bottom, and reserve (you will use this to plug cupcake after filling). Hallow out each cupcake a bit more, discarding crumbs. Insert tip of plastic bag into each cavity, and squeeze to fill; replace plugs. Using remaining filling in plastic bag, decorate top of cupcakes.