Cream of Mushroom Soup
Satisfy a craving for warm, rich food with this easy-to-make recipe.
(Recipe Courtesy: Marc Matsumoto from the Fresh Tastes blog)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1.6 ounces shallots, minced (1 medium shallot)
- 8.5 ounces button mushrooms, sliced (1 package mushrooms)
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 ounces stale crusty bread, cut into small cubes
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the shallots and sauté until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and salt and continue to sauté until the shallots are caramelized and the mushrooms are well browned.
- Add the thyme and white wine and boil until there is no liquid left.
- Add the milk and bread, and then turn down the heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered, stirring regularly until the bread has disintegrated (about 15-20 minutes).
- The soup will be very thick, but if you prefer a thinner soup, just add some more milk. Adjust salt to taste, and add some ground nutmeg, if you like.
- For a smoother texture, put some or all of the soup in a blender and puree. When putting hot liquids in a blender, be very careful as the sudden release of steam can blow the lid off of the blender sending hot soup all over your kitchen.