Creamy Rice with “Piglet” Mushrooms
This Risotto recipe appears in Lidia Bastianich's special, Lidia Celebrates America. It also appears in the La Cucina Di Lidia cookbook.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 12 ounces fresh porcini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 6 ½ cups hot chicken or veal stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into bits
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a medium casserole, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion and shallots until golden. Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat it with oil. Add the wine, stir well, and add ½ cup of the hot chicken stock and the salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until all the liquid has been absorbed. Continue to add hot stock in small batches (just enough to completely moisten the rice) and cook until each successive batch has been absorbed, stirring constantly, until the rice mixture is creamy and al dente.
- Remove from the heat, beat in the butter and cheese, season with pepper to taste, and serve immediately.