- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 pint half & half
- 12 egg yolks
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 bean vanilla beans
- Split vanilla beans in center and strip insides with knife blade.
- Scald cream and half & half and vanilla beans.
- Separate yolk into mixing bowl, add sugar beat until light yellow in color.
- Temper cream mixture into yolks, combine together.
- Strain through chinoise or fine strainer.
- Ice bath and cover top with parchment to prevent a skin from forming.
- Pour 3/4 c. into flat dish and chill for service.
- Sprinkle sugar on top and place under broiler for 1 minute. Watch carefully so not to burn!