Crispy Apple Frisbee
Fizzy’s Note: To chill the dough in a hurry, put it in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups, all-purpose flour plus more for work surface
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 1/4-inch pieces and chilled
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- 3 medium apples peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- Place the flour, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process about 2 seconds. Scatter 8 tablespoons of the butter pieces on top and pulse about 8 pulses. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition, until the dough can stick together when squeezed. (You may not need all the water.) Place the dough onto a work surface, form into a ball, and flatten into a 5-inch disk. Wrap the dough in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚. On a piece of parchment paper, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a baking sheet. Pile the apples in the center, leaving a 2-inch border. Sprinkle the apples with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and butter. Fold the border of dough, creating pleats as you make your way around the edge, leaving the apples exposed. Bake until golden brown and crispy, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Mix the apricot jam and water together in a small bowl, and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Brush the apricot mixture over the apples and crust of the “Frisbee.” Allow to cool at least 20 minutes. Serve.