Crispy Prawns with Kassoundi
- 8 ea. prawns
- 1 box shredded phyllo (katafi)
- 1 cup basil
- 1 lb. tomatoes blanched, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Maharajah curry
- 1 eaclove garlic chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. chives cut into 1 inch baton
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbsp. parsley
- 2 Tbsp. micro arugula
- 4 Tbsp. clarified butter
- extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
- For the prawns, clean the prawns by peeling and de-veining.
- Season each prawn with salt and pepper.
- Wrap each prawn in a basil leaf and then in katafi. Store in the refrigerator in a single layer with a lightly damp paper towel on top.
- For the Kassoundi, start with the tomatoes. Score the bottom of each tomato with your knife, making an "x" mark. This will help you to peel the skin off easier after they have been blanched.
- Blanch the tomatoes quickly and place in an ice bath to cool. Peel off the skin, remove the seeds and dice.
- In a large sauce pan, combine diced tomatoes, honey, brown sugar, cider vinegar and mustard. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat, cooking slowly.
- In a separate pot, lightly heat olive oil and add curry powder. Cook for 20 seconds. Add ginger and garlic and cook out for 20 minutes on low heat, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add curry mixture to tomato mixture and continue to cook slowly (about 2 hours) until mixture is reduced to a thick paste. Season with salt and pepper and cool.
- For the herb salad, combine the chive batons, cilantro leaves, parsley leaves, and micro arugula in a bowl. Just before serving, toss with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Plate-up: Sauté the prawns in clarified butter until golden and crispy. If needed, finish them in the oven.
- Place about 6 Tbsp. of the room temperature Kassoundi in the middle of each plate.
- Place crispy prawns on top of Kassoundi.
- Place 4 drops of balsamic vinegar and 4 drops of extra virgin olive oil around the plate.
- Top the prawns with herb salad.