Crispy Vegetable Tacos
Try these vegetable tacos for dinner from Aviva Goldfarb of The Six O'Clock Scramble. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 ½ cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen or canned
- 29 – 30 oz. canned black eyed peas, or use pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 12 taco shells (or use warm corn or flour tortillas)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown, about 5 minutes.
- When the onions begin to brown, add the tomatoes and corn kernels and sauté them for about 2 more minutes. (At this point you may want to keep some of the corn and beans separate for picky eaters.) Add the beans, salsa and cilantro (optional) and stir until heated through.
- Heat the taco shells on a baking sheet in the oven for about 5 minutes. (Set the timer because they burn easily.) Assemble the tacos at the table, starting with the bean mixture, then adding the cheese, lettuce and extra salsa, if desired.