Crunchy Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Pear and Pomegranate
Top this crunchy Brussels sprouts salad with pear and pomegranate for a bright and healthy dish. (Recipe Courtesy: Adrianna Adarme of the Fresh Tastes blog)
- 16 ounces brussels sprouts
- 3 slices of bacon, cooked, diced, plus warm bacon fat reserved (*see below)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 pear, cored and diced
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- 3 eggs, boiled and quartered
- For the Dressing:
- 2 teaspoons reserved bacon fat (*see above)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- Juice from 1 lemon
- To prep the brussels sprouts, start by removing the outer leaves and trimming off the stem; discard both. Using a sharp knife, slice the brussels sprouts thinly. If you like, you can also use a box grater, but often slicing them with a knife works best. Add the sliced/shaved brussels sprouts to a colander and run under cold water. If you own a salad spinner, dry the leaves in the salad spinner, if not they usually dry by the time the dressing is prepped and made.
- To make the dressing, add the warm bacon fat, olive oil, shallot, juice from 1 lemon and a few pinches of salt and pepper to a small bowl. Whisk together and set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the shaved brussels sprouts, bacon, walnuts, pear and pomegranate seeds. Pour the dressing atop the salad and toss until evenly coated. Give it a taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking. Divide amongst plates and serve with a few slices of egg.