Curious George Birthday: Man with the Yellow Hat’s Spiced Banana Ice Cream
What You'll Need: spoon, Dutch oven/pot, and a freezer-safe container
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 medium-sized bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup cinnamon chips (optional)
- In a pot, combine milk, cream, eggs, sugar and salt.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly. (Stove should be operated by an adult only.)
- Pour mixture into a freezer-safe container.
- Refrigerate the mixture until cool. It should have a custard-like consistency.
- Puree 2 to 3 medium-sized bananas. This should yield one cup of pureed banana.
- Add the puree, vanilla, nutmeg and optional cinnamon chips to the cooled mixture.
- Cover or seal the freezer-safe container. Avoid overfilling container since mixture will expand as it freezes. Freeze until mixture has the consistency of ice cream. Serve.
- Note: With exposure to the air, the puree browns quickly. Puree the bananas just before you combine them with the cooled mixture. Quickly transfer to the freezer. This will help avoid excessive browning.
Tips/TechniquesNote: Remember that it's a good idea to check with your guests' parents regarding any possible food allergies or other dietary restrictions prior to deciding on a party menu.